Friday, May 1, 2009

My First Game at the New Yankee Stadium

The best baseball stadium I have ever visited is, hands down, the new Yankee Stadium. Last night was my first game there. The Yankees beat the L.A. Angels 7-4.

The New York Yankees have a rich team history. They've won 26 World Championships, more than any other major league team. They began as the "Highlanders" in 1903 and their home field was "Hilltop Park". The Highlanders were renamed the "Yankees" in 1913 after moving to the Polo Grounds. In 1923, the first Yankee Stadium opened. From 1974-1975, the Yankees played at Shea Stadium while Yankee Stadium underwent a major renovation. Yankee Stadium reopened in 1976. The new Yankee Stadium was built next door to the old Yankee Stadium and opened this year.

The new Yankee Stadium does a great job of celebrating their team history. My favorite aspect is the dozens of large photographs above the concession stands that surround the field level concourse. These photographs include action shots from memorable games and snapshots of players in non-game situations. In my opinion, these photographs, more than anything else, connect the stadium to the team.

I really like the New York Mets new stadium, Citi Field, too. However, I hope the Mets use the new Yankee Stadium as inspiration and do more at Citi Field to celebrate the history of the Mets. The 1969 and 1986 championship Mets teams created incredible memories. The Mets fans, who have supported their team over the years, deserve to be able to bask in those memories when they go to Citi Field.


Here is a panoramic shot from my first game at the new Yankee Stadium. I'll post more pics later.

Canon 5D with 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 1/160 sec., f/5.6, ISO 800

No comments: